Human Animal Support Services has set up a great database to help pet owners locate local resources. This is a great place to start! Visit https://pets.findhelp.com/ to search for information about pet food assistance, medical care, housing assistance, and more.
Costs of Pet Ownership
- BetterPet: Understand the costs you can expect when adding a dog to your family
Dog Training Resources
Resources for Military Families
- Dogs on Deployment: Dogs On Deployment is a 501(c)(3) national non-profit which provides an online network for service members to search for volunteers who are willing to board their pets during their owner’s service commitments.
- Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet: National all-volunteer 501(c)3 Military and Veteran Support Organization assisting active duty service members, wounded warriors, veterans, and their beloved companion animals or assistance service canines through various assistance programs.
- PACT for Animals: PACT gives peace of mind to hospital patients and military personnel by placing their pets in temporary foster homes until their owners can be reunited with the companion animals they love.
Pet Insurance and Insurance Alternatives
- Pet Insurance 101: This is our short, not scary explanation for how pet insurance works and what things to think about when choosing a plan. This includes a short overview of some alternatives to pet insurance that can help with the medicals costs associated with owning a pet.
Financing and Fundraising Options
- Care Credit: Offers financing options of 6, 12, 18 or 24 months no interest. You can apply online and be informed immediately if you qualify.
- Scratch Pay: Not a credit card and offers low-interest rates for structured payment plans. You can apply online and be approved immediately and the vet clinic is notified via email right away so treatment can begin.
- Waggle: Our mission at Waggle is to provide a last-chance safety net for pets in medical crisis by creating a network-based solution to end economic euthanasia of pets.
- GoFundMe: The most trusted free online fundraising platform. Start a successful crowdfunding campaign on the site with over $5 Billion Raised
National Organizations Offering Aid to Pet Owners
- List of resources for Pet Owners facing homelessness: A comprehensive list of resources compiled by 365 Pet Insurance.
- My Pet Child: My Pet Child is a directory to help you easily find organizations that can support you with free pet food and supplies, and expensive vet bills in your local area.
- Red Rover Relief: Grants around $200. Apply online and you will be informed within 1-2 days.
- The Pet Fund: Pet Fund works only on non-basic, non-urgent care such as cancer treatment, heart disease, chronic conditions, endocrine diseases, eye diseases, etc. If you think your animal may be eligible for our program, email us at email@example.com.
- Magic Bullet Fund: Assistance is for cancer treatment for dogs only.
- Frankie's Friends Charitable Pet Foundation: Offers financial support to pet owners through their National Frankie’s Friends Fund (financial assistance grants to family owned pets in need of lifesaving emergency or specialty veterinary care), Hope Funds (save pets’ lives by providing grants to assist with the cost of life-saving or life-enhancing emergency or specialty care), Joshua Louis Animal Cancer Fund and Bond’s Fund (provide companion animals and their families with the resources to access the best eye care and ophthalmology services).
- Humane Society: list of national and state resources for pet owners in need
California and Long Beach Specific Resources
- Long Beach Animal Care Services (LBACS) spay and neuter vouchers- Vouchers are given out at LBACS on a first come first served basis to residents of Long Beach and our contract cities of Los Alamitos, Cerritos, Seal Beach and Signal Hill. LBACS will reimburse the veterinary hospital for up to $30 of the procedure and owners must pay the remaining balance directly to the veterinary hospital.
- Pet Assistance Foundation (PAF): The mission is to reduce the number of unwanted, companion animals born in Southern California through education and assistance with spay and neuter services. Call directly for assistance.
- Actors and Others for Animals: Serving individuals living on a low or fixed income residing in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties with Spay and neuter support and emergency medical aid.
- Animal Action League: Provides affordable spay and neuter and other services in Coachella Valley and Morongo Basin from the mobile clinic.
- Golden State Humane Society: Through our two animal care centers in Long Beach and Garden Grove, we offer low-cost spay, neuter, vaccines and basic veterinary care for companion dogs and cats.
- Fix Long Beach: Our mobile spay/neuter clinics are held in local parks where we are able to provide the surgery to safely fix animals on site with licensed veterinarians.
- Spay Neuter Project of Los Angeles (SNPLA): As the largest nonprofit spay and neuter animal welfare organization in California, our vision is to ensure that spay, neuter and veterinary wellness services are affordable and accessible to all pet owners in Los Angeles and to create an environment in which animal shelters no longer euthanize adoptable pets.
- Lucy Pet Foundation: Features a free mobile clinic offering spay and neuter services to low-income areas of LA.
- Inland Empire Pet Partners: Runs a clinic that offers a wide variety of vaccinations and spay and neuter services for cats and dogs at affordable prices.
- Starfleet Canine Aid Foundation: Financial assistance for pet owners. Apply online.
- Voice for the Animals Foundation: The Helping Friends program gives seniors, people with disabilities, terminal illnesses, and individuals on fixed incomes the extra support they need to care for their animals.
Know of a resource that isn't listed here? Drop us a line please!